Monday, January 23, 2012

The proposal story.

Really the story starts around Memorial Day 2011. Clay and I went to his dad's place in Mississippi for the weekend to celebrate his cousin's high school graduation. As any good southern Mississippi family does, they had a solid crawfish boil, replete with beer and festivities. Clay and I got a bit buzzy, and started talking wedding hypotheticals. Like, "what we should do is just elope and then have a big crawfish boil like this." (That was Clay, not me for once.)
 
Then out of nowhere, he asked what I was doing that Wednesday evening. And I was all like, "Uh, probably working late, making a quick dinner, and watching the Daily Show like most Wednesdays?" I didn't think anything of it until we got back to Houston. Then Clay said, "remember when I asked you what you were doing on Wednesday...well, we should go look at rings." And I was like, "really??" And he was like, "yeah."

So I had to work late on Wednesday and no shopping occurred. The following Saturday (June 4) was the Hurricane Preparedness Expo at the George R. Brown, and I escaped a bit early so we could shop. I tried on about
three sapphire rings, but number 2 was incredible. (I like blue rocks.) It fit perfectly, and it was shiny and everything. He said, you should sleep on it to make sure it's really what you want. And I did.

By the following Thursday (June 9), my finger was getting itchy, and I told him so. When I got home from work, I said something to the effect of, "Uh, I really don't want to be pushy about this, but you can't take a girl ring shopping and expect her finger not to get itchy." (I fully realize this makes me an asshole, but this is the authentic story.) At this point, Clay was playing with his 4-wheeler in our front yard, and messing with his fishing gear. He said, "well, I had work late all this week, and I need to get this stuff ready for the weekend." So I went inside and pouted, and looked at some dresses on modcloth. Clay rolls in to the office, and I didn't really look at him. He asked what I was shopping for, and I said, "work clothes." And he said, "well, you should wear this." And he was kneeling beside my office chair, holding ring number 2. And I was like, "whoa. really? you went?" And he said, "yeah, I was just messing with you earlier." And then it went on my finger. And then we exchanged mushy pleasantries.

Totally us, right?

 


No comments:

Post a Comment