Saturday, February 11, 2012

Last name.

This one isn't an easy one to write. Not because it was a difficult decision, but because I know there's sometimes pretty harsh judgment with this particular choice. It's an intensely personal one, and this is a pretty public way to go about distributing the information. I'm putting it out there in hopes of explaining why I chose to go this route, and I hope you understand. Here goes...

I'm not changing my name when we get married.

Here are a few random points, in no particular order, to explain where my head's at.

1) I'm totally supportive of anyone who chooses to change their name whether they are getting married or not (e.g., if they decide they want to be officially recognized as Miley instead of Destiny). Your name is your own thing to change or keep as you wish.

2) This won't make me any less part of the (hislastname) clan. I feel like I've been part of their family without a ring or a name change for the last five years anyway.

3) Clay's supportive of this choice. He said, "It's your choice; it's your name." (Reason #459 why I love this man.)

4) Our hypothetical offspring will totally have his last name, just like the bitches do. (Although, I gotta say, my ass was pretty chapped when the vet arbitrarily changed Miss Claire's last name to hislastname a few years ago. I got over it. Nina has always been a hislastname.)


5) I won't get offended if people assume I changed it. I'll correct them, but I won't be mad or anything. It's a common thing to do, and I realize I'm in the minority.

So there it is. I hope you understand.

3 comments:

  1. I completely understand this difficult decision. I too kept my maiden name but will answer to either. An upside is that it makes it a lot easier to weed out the annoying phone calls since they all use hislastname instead of my actual last name. And congrats on the engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always a little surprised these days when women do change their names. Not in any disapproving way, just in an "oh yeah, that's a thing they do" way. As D says, you will likely learn to answer to both over time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Mel, on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete